Tropic Lightning, Inc. is a licensed ATF Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealer. We will provide a copy of our FFL to your dealer directly.
Inbound charges: You are having any firearm shipped to us from a dealer
$19 per serial number firearm (includes the $5 background check)
- Purchase any firearm from a dealer.
- Most dealers already have our FFL on file - Just ask the dealer representative if our FFL is on file. If not on file please Email us so we can send our FFL to your dealer. Please include the following information in the email:
- Your name, phone number, and any reference number.
- The dealer’s name, phone number, and email.
- Make sure to request your tracking number from your seller/dealer.
- When the firearm arrives at our location, we will in-process it, call you to let you know it arrived, and secure it in the shipping box until you can come to pick it up. NOTE:
- Only the named purchaser of the firearm provided by the seller/dealer can receive the firearm from us - We will not allow any substitutions.
- Bring your ID.
- You will complete an ATF Form 4473 (Firearms Transaction Record) at our location, in person, and using their own handwriting. We will verify the form has been completed correctly and then submit an FDLE background check online.
- Once the background check has been approved and the three (03) business day waiting period has been completed if required the buyer/receiving person may leave with the firearm.
Outbound charges: You are bringing any firearm to us to ship to a dealer:
$19 per serial number firearm (Effective 03/01/2021)
$38 UPS shipping for handguns
Email for a shipping quote on long guns
$5 for a large pistol, rifle, or shotgun shipping box if not provided by you
Additional shipping charges may be required based on the destination, weight, and or size of the box.
- Email or call to make an appointment.
- Bring the firearm to us along with your ID.
- We will ship the firearm via UPS and email you the tracking number. We do NOT accept any shipping labels and only ship UPS. We will only ship a firearm to a dealer.
IMPORTANT things you need to know:
Cash is preferred but we also accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and checks. Payment by card is an additional $1 for any transfer or 3% more for shipping.
There is no firearm registry in Florida. Florida Statute 790.335 (Prohibition of registration of firearms; electronic records) specifically identifies firearms registration as an illegal act.
If the dealer doesn’t provide the required FFL transfer information, we will NOT transfer the firearm to you until such information is received and verified by us.
Firearm – Any frame, receiver, rifle, shotgun, or pistol covered by the Gun Control Act (GCA).
Buyer/Receiving Person – The person, you, purchasing any firearm from a seller or dealer.
Seller – The person or dealer selling or providing the firearm to the buyer, you.
Dealer – A FFL dealer who is selling or shipping any firearm to us, also a licensed FFL dealer.
ID – A valid issued government identification card
Florida state ID Card
Florida drivers license
Government-issued identification and proof of address:
The address on the ID must be the current/correct residence address. If your address is not current/correct or if your ID is issued from another state then you will need to bring a Florida government-issued document that clearly displaying of your current Florida address such as a tax bill, voter registration, car registration, or government utility bill. This document must be less than 30 days old and commercial mail is NOT acceptable. Non-government utility bills such as anything from LCEC or FPL, junk mail, phone bills, and personal letters are NOT acceptable alternatives.
State of Florida issued driver’s license or identification card (no further ID required if the address is current)
U.S. Passport (government proof of Florida address required)
Florida Vehicle registration (considered proof of address, but not a substitute for a picture ID and Date of Birth)
Florida Voter’s registration (considered proof of address, but not a substitute for a picture ID and Date of Birth)
Florida Tax Bill (considered proof of address, but not a substitute for a picture ID and Date of Birth)
Waiting period – There is a mandatory three (03) business day waiting period excluding weekends and legal holidays, between the purchase and the delivery of any firearm. This a state-required cooling-off period as required by Florida law. The purchase of any firearm from another dealer with a dated receipt does NOT start your three (03) business day waiting period. Our policy is that the three (03) business day waiting period starts when you complete the ATF Form 4473 at our location and in person. The three (03) business day waiting period shall NOT apply when the receiving person:
- Has a valid Florida Concealed Weapons Permit.
- Is conducting a firearm trade-in.
- Is a Law Enforcement / Corrections Officer (Receiver, frame, rifle, or shotgun only - Pistols require a three day waiting period)
- Is a US Active Duty Service Member (Receiver, frame, rifle, or shotgun only - Pistols require a three day waiting period)
- Has a Hunter Safety Course completed and a valid Hunting License
- You must be a US citizen or legal alien resident.
- You must be a Florida resident - No exceptions.
- You must be 21 years of age to receive any firearm.
EVERYONE including sworn law enforcement officers receiving any type of firearm with or without a Florida Carry Permit must complete an ATF Form 4473 and complete an FDLE background check. There are NO EXCEPTIONS unless the firearm is for a sworn law enforcement officer and the firearm is being delivered directly to the law enforcement agency quartermaster or firearm supervisor (Additional requirements apply).
The background check is completed by FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) and is submitted through the NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System) which is operated by the FBI.
A background check is good for 1 transaction or 30 days, whichever occurs first.
A background check usually takes a few minutes. However, the number of background checks submitted to FDLE at any point in time may affect how quickly a result is returned. If the FDLE system or the NICS system is down, background checks will not go through until NICS and/or FDLE have been restored. A delay such as this can last a few hours but usually not more than a day. The background check and waiting period are NOT related.
A firearm cannot be released by Tropic Lightning until the background check is approved by FDLE.
There are four results provided by FDLE from a background check:
Approval (A): Firearm can be released to the consumer.
Conditional Non-approval (CN): A firearm CANNOT be released to the consumer to allow FDLE more time to research causation for the Conditional Non-Approval. We will NOT release the firearm until FLDE has approved changed the Conditional Non-Approval to an Approval. The is no time limit.
Non-Approval (N): Firearm CANNOT be released to the consumer. This decision can be appealed by the consumer within 30 days of the Non-Approval.
For active military only – If you have an out-of-state ID, bring a copy of your PCS (NOT TCS) orders assigning you to Florida and a copy of your lease agreement. This will allow you to transfer/purchase handguns/receivers in the state of Florida. If you own a residence in the state of Florida, a copy of your tax bill is a suitable alternative. Utility bills, junk mail, phone bills, and personal letters are NOT acceptable alternatives. You do NOT need to establish residency to purchase a rifle or shotgun.
Alien Residents – You MUST bring your alien registration card with you at the time you fill out form 4473. Your background check may be delayed a few hours to a few days. FDLE is required to check multiple databases. The initial background check may be returned as a Conditional Non-Approval. The approval status is usually updated within a few hours but may take a few days before the completion of a final determination.
Importing and exporting – We do NOT import or export firearms.
Restrictions on receiving a firearm:
- Purchasing a firearm for another person (Straw Purchase).
- Pending felony indictment or criminal charges.
- Convicted Felon.
- Fugitive from justice.
- Conviction of a domestic violence-related crime.
- Unlawful use or addiction to prescription or illegal drugs.
- Adjudicated mentally defective.
- Dishonorable discharge from the military.
- Subject to a court order restraining you from harassing, stalking, or threatening your child or an intimate partner or child of such partner.
- Renounced US citizenship.
- Illegal alien.
- Non-immigrant alien.